A deceased beneficiary may have been due a Social Security payment at the time of death. Amounts due a deceased beneficiary may be paid to a family member or a legal representative of the estate in the following order.
- The surviving spouse who was either living in the same household as the deceased at the time of death or who, for the month of death, was entitled to a monthly benefit on the same record as the deceased;
- Children who, for the month of death, were entitled to a monthly benefit on the same record as the deceased;
- Parents who, for the month of death, were entitled to a monthly benefit on the same record as the deceased;
- A surviving spouse not qualified under 1. above;
- Children not qualified under 2. above;
- Parents not qualified under 3. above; or
- The legal representative of the deceased person's estate.
Please complete this form to help us decide who should receive any payment due.
Where to send this form
Send the completed form to your local Social Security office. If you have any questions, you may call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.