Hiring Individuals with Disabilities
Individuals with disabilities may be considered for employment with the Social Security Administration through the competitive hiring process or the Selective Placement Program.
What is the Selective Placement Program?
The Selective Placement Program is a special employment program that is designed to assist qualified individuals with disabilities to obtain employment consistent with their level of skills and abilities.
If you meet the qualification requirements of a position, you may be offered a direct appointment without competing in the normal hiring procedures.
Requirements for the Selective Placement Program
To qualify for this program, you must have a severe physical, intellectual, or psychological disability that qualifies you for consideration under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A hiring authority. A letter of certification from a State Rehabilitation Agency, the Department of Veterans Affairs, any Federal or State agency who administers disability benefit or a physician must be obtained. The Social Security Administration will provide necessary, reasonable accommodations to ensure that people with disabilities may successfully perform the duties of the position for which they are hired.
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- A letter certifying your eligibility for consideration under 5 CFR 213.3101(u) from a State Rehabilitation Agency, the Department of Veterans Affairs, any Federal or State agency who administers disability benefits or a physician. The letter must be on official letterhead and include the signature and contact information of the authorized representative/facility.
The letter may include:
- Recommendations for job modifications, if any,
- Recommendations for work site modifications, if needed,
- Your limitations that would affect work in the job situation,
- Other information that would help assure a successful job placement.
- A current resume describing prior work experience including specific duties performed and dates in each job.
- A copy of any college level transcript conferring highest degree of education. Official transcripts will be requested if hired.
Please mail application material to:
Social Security Administration
Center for Human Resources
SCT, Selective Placement Coordinator
601 East 12 St., 8th Floor
Kansas City, MO 64106